PENILE CANCER AND OUR EXPERIENCE AT TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL

  • M Fahd Shah Surgical oncology SKMCH and RC
  • Irfan Ul Islam Nasir
  • Muhammad Taqi Pirzada
  • Abdul Wahid Anwer
  • Irfan Ahmed
  • Khurram Mir

Abstract

Purpose: Penile cancer is a rare malignancy which accounts for <1% of adult male cancers. Phimosis, poor hygiene, smoking and human papillomavirus infection (type 16 and 18) are major risk factors for penile cancer. This analysis is to know the mode of presentation and treatment outcome of penile cancer in our setting.


Materials and Methods: We reviewed case notes of all patients who had histologically proven penile cancer from January 2005 to December 2014. Patient’s demographics, predisposing factors, symptoms, type of tumour, treatment and its outcome were analysed using the Statistical Package for the Social sciences 19.


Results: A total number of 19 patients who had histologically proven penile cancer were included in the study. Circumcision was done in 16 (84.2%), while 3 (15.8%) were uncircumcised. Most of the patients presented with a lesion 16 (84.2%) and the rest 3 (15.8%) with pain. Patients having delayed presentation by 1 year were 15 (78.9%), 3 (15.8%) after 2 years and one patient (5.3%) after 5 years. Partial and total penectomy were performed in 4 (40%) patients each while wide local excision in 2 (20%) of the patients (n = 10). 4 (30.7%) patients had complication of treatment. The overall 5-year survival was 69.2%.

Conclusion: Penile cancer is an aggressive malignancy with generally poor outcome. There is a need of awareness amongst the masses of this cancer to detect the disease at an early stage. There is further need for specialised oncological centre to improve survival rates and outcome.


Key words: Circumcision, penectomy, penile cancer, phimosis

Author Biographies

Irfan Ul Islam Nasir
Fellow surgical oncology
Muhammad Taqi Pirzada
Fellow surgical oncology
Abdul Wahid Anwer
Fellow surgical oncology
Irfan Ahmed
Consultant Urologist
Khurram Mir
Consultant surgical oncology

References

Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Maldonado JL, Pow-sang J, et al. Incidence trends in primary malignant penile cancer. Urol Oncol 2007;25:361-7.

Bleeker MC, Heideman DA, Snijders PJ, et al. Penile cancer: Epidemiology, pathogenesis and prevention. World J Urol 2009;27:141-50.

Rubin MA, Kleter B, Zhou M, et al. Detection and typing of human papillomavirus DNA in penile carcinoma: Evidence for multiple independent pathways of penile carcinogenesis. Am J Pathol 2001;159:1211-8.

Wabinga HR, Parkin DM, Wabwire-Mangen F, et al. Trends in cancer incidence in Kyadondo county, Uganda, 1960-1997. Br J Cancer 2000;82:1585-92.

Silva RS, Silva AC, Nascimento SG, et al. Demographic and epidemiological aspects of mortality from penile cancer. Acta Paul Enferm 2014;27:44-7.

Madsen BS, van den Brule AJ, Jensen HL, et al. Risk factors for squamous cell carcinoma of the penis populationbased case-control study in Denmark. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008;17:2683-91.

Maden C, Sherman KJ, Beckmann AM, et al. History of circumcision, medical conditions, and sexual activity and risk of penile cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993;85:19-24.

Hernandez BY, Barnholtz-Sloan J, German RR, et al. Burden of invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the penis in the United States, 1998-2003. Cancer 2008;113:2883-91.

Hardner GJ, Bhanalaph T, Murphy GP, et al. Carcinoma of the penis: Analysis of therapy in 100 consecutive cases. J Urol 1972;108:428-30.

Narayana AS, Olney LE, Loening SA, et al. Carcinoma of the penis: Analysis of 219 cases. Cancer 1982;49:2185-91.

Agrawal A, Pai D, Ananthakrishnan N, et al. The histological extent of the local spread of carcinoma of the penis and its therapeutic implications. BJU Int 2000;85:299-301.

Minhas S, Kayes O, Hegarty P, et al. What surgical resection margins are required to achieve oncological control in men with primary penile cancer? BJU Int 2005;96:1040-3.

Hegarty PK, Shabbir M, Hughes B, et al. Penile preserving surgery and surgical strategies to maximize penile form and function in penile cancer: Recommendations from the United Kingdom experience. World J Urol 2009;27:179-87.

Horenblas S. Lymphadenectomy for squamous cell carcinoma of the penis. Part 1: Diagnosis of lymph node metastasis. BJU Int 2001;88:467-72.

Pow-Sang MR, Ferreira U, Pow-Sang JM, et al. Epidemiology and natural history of penile cancer. Urology 2010;76:S2-6.

Ficarra V, Akduman B, Bouchot O, et al. Prognostic factors in penile cancer. Urology 2010;76:S66-73.

Published
2017-04-01
How to Cite
1.
Shah MF, Nasir IUI, Pirzada MT, Anwer AW, Ahmed I, Mir K. PENILE CANCER AND OUR EXPERIENCE AT TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL. J Cancer Allied Spec [Internet]. 2017Apr.1 [cited 2021Jul.25];3(1). Available from: https://journals.sfu.ca/jcas/index.php/jcas/article/view/98
Section
Original Research Article

Most read articles by the same author(s)