RESIGHTINGS OF TWO-BANDED PLOVERS (CHARADRIUS FALKLANDICUS) DURING THE BREEDING SEASON IN COASTAL CHUBUT, PATAGONIA, ARGENTINA

Glenda Denise Hevia, Fredrick Dallas Jordan, Noé Terorde, Marcelo Bertellotti, Verónica L. D’ Amico

Abstract


Abstract · We report resightings of individually-marked Two-banded Plovers (Charadrius falklandicus) breeding in northern Patagonia across two consecutive seasons in two beaches separated by approximately 65 km in a straight line: Playas Blancas (Península Valdés) and Playa Paraná (Puerto Madryn), Chubut province, Argentina. We captured and banded 24 adults at the nest while incubating during 2016. Nineteen banded individuals (ca. 80%) were resighted in 2017, 17 on the same site where they were banded, while 2 moved between survey sites. Only 32% were found breeding again while the remaining 68% were resighted resting or foraging, solitarily or in mixed flocks with other shorebird species. Among the resighted breeders, two adults were found paired with a different banded partner as in the previous year. The remaining breeders were paired with unbanded partners, and hence mate fidelity could not be assessed. Our findings add information to the scarce data on the breeding biology of this species suggesting that Two-banded Plovers exhibit site fidelity.

Resumen · Avistamientos de Chorlos Doble Collar (Charadrius falklandicus) durante el período reproductivo en la costa de Chubut, Patagonia, Argentina Presentamos avistamientos de Chorlos Doble Collar (Charadrius falklandicus) anillados en dos playas de la provincia de Chubut, Argentina: Playas Blancas (Península Valdés) y Playa Paraná (Puerto Madryn) separadas entre si aproximadamente 65 km en línea recta. En la temporada 2016, se capturaron y anillaron 24 individuos adultos durante la incubación. La mayoría de ellos (19, ca. 80%) fueron avistados en la temporada 2017, 17 en el mismo sitio donde fueron anillados y 2 en el otro sitio de estudio. El 32% se observó anidando mientras que, el 68% restante, se observó en el área descansando o alimentándose en forma solitaria o en bandadas mixtas con otras especies de aves playeras. Entre los individuos reproductores en 2017, dos anidaron con parejas también anilladas aunque diferentes al año anterior. Los reproductores restantes se observaron con parejas no marcadas, por lo que no se pudo evaluar si estaban apareados con el mismo individuo que en la temporada anterior. Estos resultados aportan nuevos datos sobre la biología reproductiva de esta especie que se suman a los estudios previos en la zona, sugiriendo que los Chorlos Doble Collar muestran fidelidad al sitio reproductivo.

Keywords


Banding; Breeding season; Chubut; Resightings; Site fidelity; Shorebirds

Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.