INTRADEPARTMENTAL CONSULTATION CONFERENCE - A GOOD QUALITY CONTROL PRACTICE AND A PROBLEM-SOLVING ACTIVITY

  • Asim Qureshi Pathology department Shifa International hospital Islamabad Pakistan
  • Nadira Mamoon Pathology department Shifa International hospital Islamabad Pakistan
  • Imran Nazir Ahmad Pathology department Shifa International hospital Islamabad Pakistan
  • Zafar Ali Pathology department Shifa International hospital Islamabad Pakistan
  • Humaira Nasir Pathology department Shifa International hospital Islamabad Pakistan
  • Asna Haroon Pathology department Shifa International hospital Islamabad Pakistan

Abstract

Objective: The objective of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of intradepartmental consultation conference (IDC) as a good quality control measure and problem-solving activity in a busy histopathology department.

Methods: This study was done at the histopathology department of a tertiary care hospital over a period of 6 years from 2011 to 2016. IDC is routinely held at 2 pm daily on multi-header microscope. All the difficult and problematic cases are discussed. Discussed cases with the recommendations of IDC are recorded. The cases were extracted from the record of IDC being maintained since 2011. All the record sheets were analysed and the cases were divided organ and system wise.


Results: A total of 5766 (6.5%) cases were discussed in this 6-year period of a total of 89,253 cases reported at our centre. Of these, 2198 (38%) were solved on first viewing, 1783 (31%) in the second viewing and 1691 (29%) in the
third viewing. In total, 98% of the cases were resolved until the third viewing, leaving only 94 (2%) cases in which further studies were recommended. A variable number of pathologists were present in the meeting, and an average of
4 was present in majority of the occasions.


Conclusion: IDC is a good quality control measure to ensure quality in a busy histopathology department and an effective problem-solving activity.

Key words: Intradepartmental consultation, histopathology, cancer

References

Qureshi A. Skeletons in the closet. Apprehensions of a histopathologist. J Pak Med Assoc 2017;67:484-5.

Qureshi A. Mirror mirror on the wall who is right of us all. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2017;27:455.

Khurshid A, Ahmad Z, Qureshi A. In-house daily consensus conference: An important quality control/quality assurance activity--experience at a major referral center. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2009;52:325-7.

Qureshi A, Loya A, Azam M, et al. Study of parameters to ensure quality control in histopathology reporting: A metaanalysis at a tertiary care center. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2012;55:180-2.

Kronz JD, Westra WH. The role of second opinion pathology in the management of lesions of the head and neck. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005;13:81-4.

Kronz JD, Westra WH, Epstein JI. Mandatory second opinion surgical pathology at a large referral hospital. Cancer 1999;86:2426-35.

Published
2018-04-01
How to Cite
1.
Qureshi A, Mamoon N, Ahmad IN, Ali Z, Nasir H, Haroon A. INTRADEPARTMENTAL CONSULTATION CONFERENCE - A GOOD QUALITY CONTROL PRACTICE AND A PROBLEM-SOLVING ACTIVITY. J Cancer Allied Spec [Internet]. 2018Apr.1 [cited 2021Sep.27];4(1). Available from: https://journals.sfu.ca/jcas/index.php/jcas/article/view/167
Section
Original Research Article